Interface is continually striving for greater sustainability, but every phase of our carpet tile’s lifecycle – harvesting raw materials, manufacturing, shipping, vacuuming and end-of-life recycling – results in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions that contribute to global warming. So we calculate all the GHG emissions in a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) for all our products. CO2 is the most important greenhouse gas associated with carpet tile, and it is the 'magic metric' to show environmental impact for our industry.
We are working hard to reduce our environmental impact. Mission Zero® is to eliminate any negative impact by the year 2020. Our efforts to reduce our CO2-emissions have a default order:
- Avoid carbon-intensive activities
- Increase efficiency
- Replace carbon-intensive energy sources with less intensive ones
- Offset the emissions that remain after taking the steps above
Cool Carpet® is our programme to offset CO2-emissions we can not yet avoid, enabling you to have a carbon-neutral floor. The Cool Carpet service is standard with some of our most sustainable products and available on request for all our other ranges. You will receive a certificate that documents the savings.
Cool Carpet basics:
- The environmental impact of a project is based on a full Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Cool Carpet is third-party verified and reviewed annually by SGS
- The carbon-offset projects we support are certified according to the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), the Climate Action Reserve (CAR) or the Gold Standard (GS)
- Cool Carpet certificates show the quantity of carbon offsets associated with your purchase
- Cool Carpet can help earn credits for green building certification schemes, such as LEED